As an Instagrammer I LIVE for my phone. However, staring at a screen 24/7 cannot be healthy…. right? I noticed that I was getting a bit too addicted and decided to do a detox: one weekend without social media. Check out this video to see how it went and what I learned!
I have a confession to make. Even though I’ve been blogging for 1.5 year now, I still feel like I’m discovering new things every single week. While I was working on my organisation plan for 2017, I decided that I should step up my game and asked Taria-Ann if there’s something missing on my blog.
I’m sure you’ve heard it before – or you even said it yourself: “Don’t you just hate it when people are bragging about doing charitable things?“. I had a discussion about this very topic a week ago and it got me thinking. Why is it such a bad thing that people like to talk about the charitable things they did? Personally I am a big believer in Karma and I honestly enjoy charitable activities every now and then, but currently I would be terrified to talk about it because I would instantly be stigmatized as a #humblebragger. Are you guys seriously telling me that it is more than fine to read about corrupt politics, terrorism, abuse and even superficial gossip, than to spread a positive word about trying to making a change in this world? Not having it.
You might be surprised about the title of this blogpost, I mean, if there is a place filled with creativity it is the actual internet. Pinterest, Tumblr, Instagram, and lots of other websites are made for people to share their creative ideas and products. So why would you say that the internet kills your creativity?
Lately I have been getting lots of questions about my Instagram. If you didn’t read my blogs with 5 Tips on how to get more Instagram Followers, I would definitely recommend you to watch this video of Chua Sihui. I was thinking about something to add to her video, but she pretty much covers it all. So there you go guys… go get Instagram Famous! ;P
Lots of Love,
Something that all of us want, but seems to be so hard to achieve! More Instagram Followers more engagement – and in the case of my sweet fellow bloggers: more influence and collabs. In the past three months I have been experimenting with Instagram and was able to grow my Instagram Followers from 10K to more than 27K! In this blogpost I am sharing the absolute musts which you need for a succesfull Instagram with consistent growth and engagement.
1. Fix your IG Feed: People want to follow you on Instagram if they like your pictures and if your feed is cool. So let’s start with that! First of all, here is an article about 11 Instagram Stars Spilling their Secrets on creating the best photos. Secondly, It’s easy on the eye if the photos you post are cohesive and connected to each other in some way, you can achieve this in several ways:
- Always use the same filter
- Edit your pictures in a way that they get similar lighting & contrast
- Try to stick with a color palette (as you might have noticed, mine is dominantly white & blue)
- Balance out the type of pictures you post, don’t post too much of the same things in a row.
- Post a neutral picture such as a B&W Quote or a mainly white picture every now and then to make your overall feed more easy on the eye.
- Stand out: give your Instagram a theme and its own identity, like these 7 IG Accounts
2. Use the right Hashtags: If you want to be found by the right people on Instagram, make sure that your hashtags are relevant to the picture which you are sharing. In theory they are pretty much search words, so think well about what type of hashtags fit with your IG and your picture for the most relevant engagement. You should definitely try to see which hashtags work best for you, so go ahead and experiment! Important note: make sure not to use too much hashtags all too often, this might come over as spammy. The Nectar Collective shared some of their favorite hashtags to use to get more engagement and shoutouts, a great place to get started!
3. Regular Engagement: This is kind of a ‘no-brainer’: the more you engage, the more engagement you get in return. Of course not everyone has time (or internet) to be on IG all day long, but at least try to keep your engagement consistent. Like and comment on some pictures every day for 30 minutes, post a new picture at least once a day, and search for new interesting IGers once a week to keep your inspirations flowing and network growing. Good ideas for smart engagement:
- Check out the IGers who are similar to you and like some of the pictures of their followers. If they like them, they might like you as well!
- Go to the IG of hotspots where you regularly hang out (or where your target group probably goes to) and engage with some of their followers. It shows you have something in common and people will be more keen to follow you.
- If you get a shoutout from another IGer, make sure to engage with the people that like or comment on that shoutout. They already liked you, so the step to following will be easier!
4. Tag the right People: If you tag other IG’ers in your pictures it means that your picture will be shown in their tagged pictures, which means: more visibility! Also it will allow you to – hopefully – catch the attention from the IG’er you are tagging: a cool brand, a shoutout page, maybe even a celebrity, or just a friend! No matter what: more visibility = more engagement, and that’s what we are going for. Just like with the hashtags, make sure not to ‘overdo’ it since people will experience it as spammy. Keep the tags relevant to the picture you are posting and keep it balanced.
5. Show Personality: Make jokes, tell people what you’re up to, share your thoughts, and more! In the end, people want to follow you for one of the following reasons:
- They personally know you and want to stay in touch
- They like your pictures and captions; which means they want to know the person behind those pictures too
- They feel like they can identify with you and feel a connection
Either way, for all of those reasons you need to show your personality! There are 1000’s of people with pretty pictures on IG, who are you? Don’t be afraid to share your mind, you will be surprised to see how many people agree with you, laugh with you, or even cry with you. Don’t all of us like to feel a connection, even if it’s with someone who seems to be a stranger?
BOOM! There you go guys: your class on Instagram Followers 101, was there anything new you didn’t know before? Do you have any tips of your own? Share it with the community! For the brands out there: I recently started offering social media marketing and branding services, so don’t hesitate to contact me if you need any help!
Lots of Love,
Bloggers cannot be pictured out of the society anymore nowadays, they are the influencers of the 21st century! There are so many that it’s hard to decide which ones are worthy of following on Instagram, that’s why I selected three of my favorites for you to check out! Get ready to be inspired by these talented powerwomen:
This gorgeous Swedish Fashion- & Travelblogger makes beautiful pictures of her adventures. Photography + food + nature + fashion = best combination ever! Her feed is fun to follow and makes you dream of going to experience the world on your own.
This Dutchie is responsible for the brilliant blog ‘Chapter Friday’ and has a beautiful feed filled with inspirational pictures of interior and fashion. Yara has a gorgeous smile which immediately brightens your day and you will want to buy everything she posts, because yes, her taste is THAT good.
Living in Paris definitely gives Alexandra Pereira the perfect feels for elegant fashion and photography hotspots! All of her pictures are top quality and mostly show her travel locations, food addiction and casual classy outfits… love it!